Ceaselessly creative, Reagan taught himself to play many stringed instruments, including the banjo, mandolin, and guitar. His favorite five-string banjo is pictured above. Enjoy these samples of his singing, playing, and listening.
Reagan performs “The Lexington Dip,” a song he wrote for friends. Lyrics are included below.
Reagan’s favorite music, supplied by Elliott and Sam Miller, in no particular order. In Sam’s words, this music “would make my dad smile and dance.”
- Elvis Presley, “Polk Salad Annie”
- Cat Power, “The Greatest”
- Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, “If I Were a Carpenter”
- Muddy Waters, “Hoochie Coochie Man”
- Noah and the Whale, NPR Tiny Desk Concert
- The Tallest Man on Earth, “King of Spain”
- “Candy Mountain,” from O Brother Where Art Thou
- The Cars, “Just What I Needed”
Listen to Reagan sing “Paper Moon,” accompanying himself on the ukulele.